UX/UI Design

My first project

Also, view my graphic design page – here.

As my first introduction to the UX/UI field, I picked my website/ portfolio in pursuit to make it more appealing and easy to navigate. I went through the UX strategy steps, which include – doing interviews, identifying problems, sketching, researching and designing. During these steps, I gained valuable insight and knowledge of UX methodology and process.

Interviews/ Research

Crucial step to identify the design flaws is to run a real user test. And that’s exactly what I did. I conducted two interviews and allowed both individuals to navigate through my website. While they were navigating through it, they were describing their experience – design flaws and what they liked.

I made notes accordingly which would help me to redesign the website.

Sketches/ Design

Firstly, I must note that my website is built on WordPress. Currently, I haven’t bought any plans, which means that certain design choices are limited. I have to work with the tools I have.

The website started as a mere blog for my own needs. Over time it evolved into a bigger project and quite recently into a portfolio/ blog. The main focus is now focused on the portfolio. Still, not to lose the blog section – my personal goal was to effectively put both, portfolio and blog, under one roof.

When I first made a move to convert the main focus on the portfolio, I realized that I’m limited in design choices. So the first version looked like this:

Taking the interviews and my research on other UX designer portfolio’s, I made design changes which you can see now presently implemented in the working website.

  • Portfolio – WordPress recently introduced a new plugin which allows the users to make a picture grid and assign a separate link to each picture. Which was not supported with the old plugin That allowed me to move on from the column type portfolio style to a grid type.
  • Blog – according to the interviews, users were confused about the blog categories. I used the same approach as for the portfolio and made a neat category grid.
  • Color – the users enjoyed a more minimalistic style, which made me change the Color from yellow to soft black Color.
  • Font – as pointed out by the graphic designer – the (previous) font “Oswald” was not easy to read, so it was changed to “Open Sans”.
  • Mobile – as recommended by an experienced UX designer, mobile version is also a crucial aspect. Even though I couldn’t change much, I kept that in mind and made some small adjustments.

Note: WordPress

Within three years of having my blog and experience with Digital Freedom Festival website, which both are built on WordPress, I have mastered the inner workings of the WordPress site. Including – themes, CSS, plugins, hosts and many other aspects. Which, in turn, allowed me to effectively navigate through the website and make design changes.

Advertisements